Summary of Recommendations for neck intervention: NECK PAIN WITH MOBILITY DEFICITS
- Clinicians should provide thoracic manipulation, a program
of neck ROM exercises, and scapulothoracic and upper
extremity strengthening to enhance program adherence.
- Clinicians may provide cervical manipulation and/or
- Clinicians should provide neck and shoulder girdle endurance exercises.
- Clinicians may provide thoracic manipulation and cervical
manipulation and/or mobilization.
- Clinicians should provide a multimodal approach of the
• Thoracic manipulation and cervical manipulation or
• Mixed exercise for cervical/scapulothoracic regions: neuromuscular exercise (eg, coordination, proprioception, and postural training), stretching, strengthening, endurance training, aerobic conditioning, and cognitive affective elements
• Dry needling, laser, or intermittent mechanical/manual traction
- Clinicians may provide neck, shoulder girdle, and trunk endurance exercise approaches and patient education and counseling strategies that promote an active lifestyle and address cognitive and affective factors. Read details of the guidelines: